We have noticed often patients who come to our facility are very knowledgeable about tubal reversal. They will say “I read a lot on your website and answered a lot of questions.” They often ad that they really like our website and “I like the fact that you do the tube in layers and dye test the repaired tube.” They often see things on other websites that put them off, especially claims that promise results, guarantees and statements that they are the best for tubal reversal. I would suggest to patients that are looking for a center to do their reversal that they consider signs that I think they should watch out for.
- Anyone that say or even implies that their results are better. This is illegal in most states and always unethical.
- Anyone who tells you they can reverse your tubes with laparoscopy or (heaven forbid) robotic surgery. Insurance seldom will pay for reversal and the use of laparoscopy or robotic surgery will add a minimum of $5000 to the cost. Besides the added expense the operation with these devices will add a minimum of one and a half hours to your time under anesthetic, which means a longer recovery from the surgery. These doctors will always tell you that they may have to open your abdomen to complete the reversal and studies show that they do have to convert to an open operation about half the time. What they probably won’t tell you is that they don’t do a lot of tubal reversals because few patients can afford the extra expense.
- Anyone who says or implies that you are safer at their facility. The risks of tubal reversal are very small. It’s nice if you go to an accredited surgical center like ours but it’s not necessary.
- Anyone who says they have better equipment to do your surgery with. Again, this is illegal in most states and always unethical.
- Anyone who will give you money back if your tubal reversal doesn’t work. This, to me, is the hallmark of a medical rascal. The way these schemes work is that if you do a lot of expensive tests to prove the tubes are closed, they then will give you a credit for some of their fees to do IVF. The reasons that women don’t get pregnant after tubal reversal are rarely because of their tubes and they know it!
- Anyone who is vague about their experience or how many reversals they have done. We have done almost 3000.
- Be especially careful with facilities that have “cafeteria” plans. These plans offer to do a reversal for various fees depending on factors such as your weight, surgical history and so forth. You can bet if there is an extra charge it is likely you will have to pay it. If they tell you to bring your credit card keep looking.